BATON ROUGE, LA – As
the year’s busiest shopping season kicks into high gear, Attorney General Jeff
Landry reminds consumers that it is also prime season for porch pirates.
“Unfortunately, package theft is a problem just about everywhere,” said General Landry. “Thieves are looking to ruin your holidays by trying to get their hands on your presents before you do.”
So General Landry wants Louisiana consumers to make their communities safer by protecting themselves from porch thieves with the following tips:
- Ship packages to places of work or use ship-to-store option. These allow for the packages to be picked up not left unsecured on house porches.
- Sign up for delivery alerts. This informs consumers when deliveries are scheduled and delivered.
- Ask trusted neighbors to hold packages if not able to be home for deliveries.
- Require signatures for all deliveries possible.
- Be good neighbors and look out for each other. If package is at neighbors’ doorstep, call them and ask if they would like it held until they are home.
For more consumer tips and information, visit www.AGJeffLandry.com or call General Landry’s Consumer Protection Hotline at 800-351-4889.