You are using an outdated browser. For a faster, safer browsing experience, upgrade for free today.


Consumer Dispute

Please call the Consumer Protection Hotline at 1-800-351-4889, fill out the online consumer dispute form, or download the printable consumer dispute form from the bottom of the page. If submitting online, please submit using the "Submit" button at the bottom of the form. If submitting a printed copy of the form, and/or if you have additional documentation, please submit those documents separately to the address below and include the printed copy of your dispute.

Office of the Attorney General
Consumer Protection Section
P.O. Box 94005
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9005
Fax: (225) 326-6499

The Consumer Protection Section acts on behalf of consumers at large when a business is operating unfairly or deceptively. However, we realize that individual disputes can arise in business transactions and that many problems may be resolved through improved communications. Our mediators will try to resolve disputes between an individual consumer and a business. Please read this information and the dispute form carefully before you file your dispute.

Our office may handle disputes regarding automobiles, business opportunities, charitable solicitations, charities, collection agencies, computer sales, construction, credit cards, credit reporting, credit repair, health clubs, home appliances, home improvement, home furnishings, home repair, hotels, internet goods and services, landlord-tenant disputes, mobile homes, multilevel marketing, retail sales, sweepstakes, telemarketing, timeshares, travel, and work-at-home programs.

Our office does not handle disputes regarding airlines, utility companies, insurance claims, elected or public officials, state or municipal agencies, child support claims, employee-employer disputes, or licensed professionals (doctors, dentist, attorneys, etc.). If we receive a dispute that we do not handle, we may refer it to the proper agency.

You may file your consumer dispute with the Consumer Protection Section. We will do our best to assist you in attempting to resolve the matter. Depending on the nature of the dispute, we may refer the dispute to another agency, or we may forward a copy of the consumer dispute form, including any documents you provide, to the company complained about and ask for a response. If so, we will review the response and send a copy to you. The information you provide may also be used to help the Attorney General’s Office detect patterns of unfair and deceptive trade practices.

We cannot give legal advice or act as your private attorney. If you need legal assistance, we recommend that you contact a private attorney or legal aid organization.

Depending on the nature of the dispute, our review of the matter may take four weeks or longer.

We address matters concerning civil unfair trade practices and consumer protection. If you have a complaint about criminal conduct, such as fraud, we recommend that you contact local law enforcement agencies, which have jurisdiction over criminal activity. Additionally, if you have a complaint about fraud, waste, or abuse stemming from a disaster, we recommend that you contact the National Center for Disaster Fraud (NCDF) at 1-866-720-5721.